1. Certain pesticide application equipment in professional use is subject to inspection:
- The following pesticide application equipment is exempted from inspections:
- Manually operated hand held pesticide application equipment;
- Manually operated knapsack sprayers with a tank capacity up to a maximum of 20 litres.
- All other pesticide application equipment shall be inspected at least once until the 1st January 2020.
- Certifications issued until 1st January 2020 for powered knapsack sprayers with a tank capacity up to 7 litres and an engine power rating of up to 2Hp shall remain valid for a period of up to 5 years.
- Certifications issued until 1st January 2020 for other powered knapsack sprayers shall remain valid for a period of up to 4 years.
- Certifications issued until 1st January 2020 for other pesticide application equipment not mentioned in i) and ii) shall remain valid for a period of up to 3 years.
- Certificate issued for inspections conducted thereafter shall remain valid as per below:
- For powered knapsack sprayers with a tank capacity up to 7 litres and an engine power rating of up to 2Hp it shall remain valid for a period of up to 5 years.
- For other powered knapsack sprayers it shall remain valid for a period of up to 3 years.
- For other pesticide application equipment not mentioned in i) and ii) it shall remain valid for a period of up to 2 years.
- New equipment is required to be inspected at least once within a period of 5 years after purchase.
2. Inspection for pesticide application equipment are to follow a checklist to determine the approval or disapproval of the sprayer:
- If the pesticide application equipment satisfies the relevant requirements listed in the checklist, the professional user is given a certificate with a unique equipment number. The unique equipment number is given as a form of a sticker by the responsible body to be placed on the equipment.
- In case of not meeting the relevant requirements, the ownwer is given not more than four weeks to repair the pesticide application equipment. MCCAA shall be notified of such extension by the responsible body of such extension to follow-up.
- Point (a) and (b) apply for inspection.
3. Pesticide application equipment shall follow up inspection according to point 1(b), (c) and (d). Applicants must ensure that the pesticide application equipment is clean and free from pesticides and no apparent damage and that fixing straps are secure when brought for inspection. If these pre-conditions are not met than the inspection would not proceed. It shall be the responsability of the applicant to carry out the necessary repairs/maintenance of the equipment that fails to pass inspection. In case of failure, the applicant has to re-apply and pay the applicable fee again.
4. Certificates include minimal:
- the details of the professional user,
- the type of pesticide application equipment and
- the unique equipment number.
5. For any other information, kindly contact the MCCAA.
6. Application form has to be submitted together with a payment fee of €15 (inclusive of VAT), which can be made by cheque, addressed to the MCCAA at the below mentioned addresses:
- Director, Laboratory Services Directorate, MCCAA, Mizzi House, Blata l-Bajda, HMR9010
- Experimental Farm, Triq l-Imgarr, Xewkija, Gozo
or else by bank transfers as follows:
- Bank name: Bank of Valleta
- IBAN number: MT14VALL22013000000040019986609
- Swift code: VALLMTMT